Pumpkin spice lattes are popular at major café chains, but what is in that sweet orange syrup, anyway?
Let’s make a pumpkin spice chai tea latte with real pumpkin—they’re in season after all! You won’t pay for an overpriced PSL again once you try this PSCL. 🙂
Bonus: You don’t need a fancy latte maker, either!
Recommended listening: Indie Morning on Songza
Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte
1 pie pumpkin (or substitute canned pumpkin)
2 cups milk of your choice (I used almond milk)
2 tsp Seven Sisters Spice Route Oolong Chai Tea
Pumpkin pie spice (pre-mixed or make your own)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Optional: whipped cream, sweetener
1. First, roast up your pumpkin! Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and guts, and lay it facing down in a baking dish. Add a little bit of water into the dish and bake at 350 until it is tender, about an hour. When it’s done, scoop the pumpkin from the shell.
2. Brew up some extra-strong chai tea. With 2 teaspoons of loose-leaf tea in your infuser, steep 8 ounces of boiling water, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring 2 cups of milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring every so often.
4. Pour the tea into the milk in the saucepan, and whisk in 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons of roasted pumpkin, and a pinch of pumpkin pie spice.
5. Remove from heat and whisk whisk whisk to give your PSCL a light, foamy texture.
6. Pour into a mug. Top with whipped cream, if you’d like.
Note: if you like your lattes a little sweeter, add a sweetener such as agave nectar or brown sugar to your steeped tea before combining with the milk.
And another note!: You only need a little of the roasted pumpkin for this recipe, but you can use the leftovers for pies, scones or soups. I like to stir it into my morning oatmeal. (Or, you can make pumpkin chai lattes for all your friends and become instantly mega-popular.)